The F.O.E. was founded in February, 1898 by six theatre owners gathered in a Seattle shipyard to discuss a musician’s strike. After addressing the matter, they agreed to “bury the hatchet” and form “The Order of Good Things.” As numbers grew, members selected the Bald Eagle as the official emblem and changed the name to “The Fraternal Order of Eagles.” The women’s auxiliary traces its roots to 1927.
F.O.E. membership now exceeds 850,000, with more than 1,400 local Aeries in the U.S. and Canada. Women’s auxiliaries total more than 1,300, with more than 250,000 members.
Members are recruited by other members and must be sponsored by two members before the membership process begins.